Mar 16, 2009

I'm either stupid, crazy, or a strange combination of the two.

Say "hello" to Sam.

ZouNan and I were just walking around downtown. It was a beautiful Saturday. The air was a little cool, but the sky was so clear that the sun warmed everything up quite nicely. I was almost hot.

We ended up looking around a little animal market downtown. I thought it might be nice to get a cat. Cats are low maintenance; I thought it would be perfect for me.

But then I saw Sam. He was in a cage with four other similar looking dogs. I asked what kind of dogs they were, the lade said 狼狗 (langgou literally "wolf dog" but Google Translate says, "shepherd"). Whatever that is.

I was looking at him and he was so calm, so relaxed, not at all behaving like a puppy. His sister was a puppy, jumping, running, going crazy. We flipped a coin. Heads was for Sam, Tails was for his sister. It landed on heads and I was the proud new parent of a 3 month old 狼狗.

He's so smart, so lovely, and adores me so much. That when night came it was a nightmare. I didn't know puppies could cry this Sam did on Saturday night. If China had noise laws - or if they were enforced - my neighbors could have called the cops. I finally caved and let him in my room. At that point he quieted down to a law whimper. I slept about half the night.

I met ZouNan for lunch on Sunday. When we were coming back to my house we could hear Sam from roughly 30 meters away. I am not exaggerating. This dog has a voice that carries like no other sound I've ever heard. When I was talking to ZouNan about this on Sunday she decided I had two choices. Give him back, or get another dog to keep him company.

At the park.
Say "hello" to 美女 (meinu = beautiful girl). I sent ZouNan to pick out a dog. I told her to get whatever she liked. She came back with this tiny little creature.
It is so funny to see them play together. Sam nibbles on 美女, then she gets pissed off and chases him back a few feet at which point he remembers that he is 5 times her size and knocks her across the room with one swift blow. After playing they get tired and fall asleep. 美女 prefers to sleep on top of something. Either my feet or Sam if he's available.
And if you're wondering, Sam only cried a little bit last night. He would moan some, then 美女 would shut him up.

2 Comments:

  1. Kaylin said...
    Oh..my...these have GOT to be the cutest dogs I have ever seen!!! The last picture evoked a girlish squeal.
    Trevor Raichura said...
    They're so cute! I'm a cat guy myself, but seeing those 2 dogs and reading about them could convert me... enjoy the "wolf-dog" and the li'l one! (Beauty and the Beast???)

Post a Comment