Jul 7, 2009

How do I even begin to address this subject?

I'm naturally a private person. I don't want a million people to be my "friends" on facebook. I was never good at the popularity contest in highschool, and to be honest I'm sad that it has followed my generation online past university. I'm not going to add someone as my friend, so that they have access to all my embarrassing photos, videos, and other friends comments, if i don't even know them! I don't need a bazillion fakebook friends.

That said, I'm also naturally a nice person.

I don't like it when people I met one time dig me up on facebook. First off, how did they even find me? I usually don't remember their name 5 minutes after we talked! But I can't just deny their request. So I leave them hanging. I have about 40 people waiting for me to accept or deny them. I'll never do either. They are simply out of the question.

Yesterday my friend's mom joined facebook.

How do you even deal with that? Do you want your mom to see the results for a "How Good Are You In Bed" quiz? Or to have access to all the embarrassing pictures, or videos(!), that friends put up of you after a looooong night out? I don't think so.

But how could someone deny their mother's request to be their friend? Aren't there rules against that?

With all the people in my friend request folder I can sleep at night knowing I will never see them again. But you will see your mom. And your mom will ask about it.

So you become your mom's friend on facebook.

At first it's nothing, but then quizzes and status updates start popping up from the mom. First it's small things like, "What Beatles Song Are You?" and "What Nationality Are You REALLY?" But then it's not just updates, it's naked baby pictures tagged with your name, it's videos of you learning to ride a bike, then it's comments on pictures of you ranging from, "Oh your friends look lovely!" to, "Why are your cheeks red?" to, "Why are there four people on that bicycle with you? And what's in those cups?" to, "Are you SMOKING?!?"

And finally when all your secrets have been revealed, when you thought that nothing else could make it any worse, you mom's friends join.

Then your friend's moms join and become friends your mom and her friends.

Then they all begin talking about you and your friends.

Just when you thought that awkward conversations would finally be limited to holidays and special events you get comments from your old friend's mom asking where you have been. If you wanted to tell her where you have been, wouldn't you have done that?

What once was a place for you and some friends to share photos and videos of your latest crazy night, to plan the next crazy night, and to console each other the day after a crazy night, has now become a bad thanksgiving dinner with every one looking at embarrassing photos of you and your friends.

And it has just started for me. My friend's mom just sent me a friend request. I will never see her, so I will ignore it. Unless she reads my blog. In which case, I will delete my account.

1 Comment:

  1. Kaylin said...
    *applause*
    I couldn't have said it better.

Post a Comment