Mar 18, 2009

I throw away food.

Let me rephrase that.

I throw away a lot of food.

(I know over 800 million people will go to bed hungry tonight because they couldn't afford one meal today. If I could give them my food I would. But I can't.)

Maybe being from an extremely obese country has made me think this way, but if you're full stop eating!

Most of the time I buy my own food. It's my food and like anything else I own I can choose to do whatever I want with it.

If I buy a pen that I don't end up using I don't have a second thought about throwing it away. If I buy something that doesn't work properly it ends up in the trash.

If I have food that tastes bad I don't eat it.

If someone else buys, or I'm at someone's house, I'll eat as much as I possibly can. I'm not rude, I'm just not a glutton.

However, when the school I work for begins placing guards by the tray depository to make sure everyone is finishing everything they are given I get a little pissed.

Especially when half the lunches they serve deserve to be thrown away before they reach any creature's mouth.

I understand their logic. They want to make everyone eat everything.

After forcing kids (and apparently teachers also) to stuff themselves silly for a couple day they think that the over stuffed people will learn to take less.

If everyone takes less food the school saves money.

In theory.

But I don't think it will work.

This is obviously an idea cooked up by the administration.

These people never talk to the students.

Student's study all morning. By the end of the 4th period there isn't a student that isn't complaining about being hungry.

Most of them always have and always will take too much food.

What will happen is that the average weight of the student body will rise.

I don't really care, I just think that applying this rule to teachers is a bit degrading.

I'm not their child.

3 Comments:

  1. Kaylin said...
    That is one of the stupidest things I have ever heard.
    What's next? Toilet paper rationing?!
    Unknown said...
    hmmm sounds like Honduran school administration... or maybe just certain ones.........
    Eulogio and Leah said...
    so it has been about a week since that post ... are you any fatter?

Post a Comment